Sunday, May 21, 2006

Me and my Kolkata

Kolkata erstwhile known as Calcutta is in mumbai terms "thora hatke" city. It is not half as fast as mumbai,neither it is as plush as other metros in India. Yet it remains very close to my heart and I miss my city very much. Not because I am a die hard calcacian but there is something I always like about my city. Its warmth, its relentless effort to embrace everybody in and around and also its own way of creating life and fun out of nothing is invaluable. These are probably not valued or required in morden life but then I have never been a die hard fan of present condition of life. It taught me to enjoy every small things in the world, it showed me that festivals have colours which can paint everybody's world irrespective of cast,creed, religion and gender. It gave me a great history and also a not so great present. Yet it never stopped surprising me by throwing small presents every now and then.
I have travelled at least to all metros and big cities in India but nowhere I found such appreciation of things which is of no value in life. it has its own share of negatives and problems but then that is part and parcel of every city in India. Everybody loves his/her own city and I think it should be so because we sould never forget our roots but somewhere I feel my love for my city is different.
Calcutta is changing too now a days and trying to be like others. But I detest that change. You do not need to be changed to New York to be NY.
Probably nobody could answer this as change is inevitable. But I wish my city could have remained the same at its core.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11:58 PM , Blogger SRK said...

The one thing tht I love abt Kolkata are the rosogollas... u shud write a post on tht sometime Stam da

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home