Monday, July 09, 2007

Fedex monopoly chugs on @ Wimbledon...

I am undemocratic in some cases and support monopoly in certain areas. Sports being one of them. I see absolutely no reason why should I fight for equal share of glory when I have a king who is giving me more than what I want. And yes, I am talking of Rodger Federar.
And ladies and gentleman, the 2007 Wimbledon men's singles champion is Mr. Rodger Federar. He has equaled the record for Bjon Borg's 5 consecutive championships which even the best form of Pete Samprass could not achieve.
And I am so happy for him and sorry for all those who thought Nadal could beat him this time.
For the statistical record, Federar beat his challenger Nadal in a thrilling 3hr 44 mins 5 setter - score line in favour of Federar reads - 7/6 (9/7), 4/6, 7/6 (7/4), 2/6, 6/2. But the score line says nothing about the threat that the challenger gave to the throne. In this particular match, Nadal showed how close he has come to challenge Federar on grass and in Paris he was unbeatable even by Roger at his best. So, I am a bit scared about my reigning king at Wimbledon. Will he be able to hold Nadal off for 3 more years? That's what I am praying on.
Make absolutely no mistake that I wanted to see Federar win and win it unchallenged. I don't like people taking pot shots at the crown and have absolutely no mentality of sharing it with a new champion. People might have a different view but I like defending champions. Champions, who conquer all challenges to etch their mark in history. I don't have any sympathy for those one off winners.
But I respect Nadal and I fear him a lot. I fear him because he is a successful challenger. One who for the first time has been able to push Federar to the limits. All those incredible returns, unbelievable backhand cross court shots, down the line passing and most fearful, reaching the ball every time you think you have just put it beyond his reach. He is an athlete par excellence and make no mistake about his Wimbledon title being just a few years away. And that's what I want to prolong.
3 more championships for Roger and he will be in the history book alone for 8 time Wimbledon crown. Unmatched and unheard of in the open history of tennis. I have never seen Bjon Borg playing those wonderful rallies and I was not there when Borg made history by becoming 6 time champion. But this time I want to see it with my eyes. And I won't like Rafa spoiling my party.
Come on Federar, do that much for me. I know, you could do it.

But, I must admit that 2007 Wimbledon final produced brilliant tennis throughout for the spectators. In a gripping finale, with every passing shot Federar had to dig deeper and deeper to recollect his form, he had to rely on his devastating aces more than his placements (he made 29 unforced errors compared to Nadal’s 21), he had to produce more breath taking rallies from baseline to make it that much harder for Rafa. And Rafa matched it with point for point. In the 4th set he played devastating tennis which rocked the king so much that he asked to call off the technology of hawk eye once the ball was overruled long in favour of Rafa. He lost it 2/6 with 2 breaks down. Then in the decider he was down 15-40 twice and produced the brilliance of only his class (read aces after aces) to dig him out.
That's what champions are made off. When they face more pressure they bring out more from their closet, when everybody thinks he is tired he produces wonderful winning rallies from baseline and when everybody doubts only he confides in himself.
Tennis over the years have produced players of the highest caliber and this has proven enough that we Indians are not cut out for modern day sports. We are better at deducing financial gains out of mediocre playing capabilities. Be it any sports we have only breed mediocrity in place of brilliance and blamed it conveniently on the system. Without a hunger of a tiger, no system could produce players like Graff, Navratilova or Federar. We have simply no genes to support our credentials in sports.
And ohh, I just remember some people told me a year back that even some Sania Mirza plays tennis. Being an Indian I would love to watch her, but every time before I start viewing championships I read she is out of the tourney. Someone please tell me if she was good enough to buy a GBP 66 ticket (FYI, Wimbledon tickets for ladies final is GBP 66, for men it’s GBP 72) for watching Mariom Bartoli. I heard that both Mirza and Bartoli started almost at the same time, but according to some reports only injury forced Mirza go down and down in the ranking.
I believe, injury free players are a rarity but not players with hunger, grit and determination.
Some people also say that there are enough ways to make money other than winning grand slams. Till such time when we start producing players who could be watched with pure enjoyment and entertainment, we continue to thrive on mediocrity while cherishing wonderful moments like what we got on 7th July 2007 at the Centre court of Wimbledon.
Ale Federar and all my wishes for Rafa in the post Federar era.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 2:50 PM , Blogger spiderman! said...

I cannot remember having seen such a breathtaking riveting tennis match in the last 5 years. (I did not watch the epic Safin v Federer in 2005)

I am absolutely against monopoly in any field. I love new champions. Not one-offs but definitely not a 5-straighter !

I thought Rafa played better than Fed yesterday. The only difference was the serve. And I do not like players who rely on that to take them out of a hole. True, that a great serve is also a mark of perfection, but it is so much more beautiful to see a champion 'play' and fight his way back.

Federer is the greatest to have played tennis. When I watched Sampras I never thought that it would be possible for someone to be better than him. This is proof that excellence knows no limits.

Cheers to the champion! As I have said, I can always claim a 'moral victory' if there exists anything of that sort on behalf of Rafa !

 
At 3:08 PM , Blogger Gaurav Kumar Ambasta said...

Although I could not see the final yesterday but the scoreline says it all... 2/6 win in the 4th set must have worried the defending champion.. But so many times I have seen player who wins the 4th set looses in the end...

My fav Wimbeldon match would be Agassi Vs Goran... It was better than Becker-Edberg or Ivan Leldl-Pat Cash finals.... I have never liked powerful services which I think spoil the beauty of the game ... I used to like the baseline game of Agassi..

Is it for the same reason I like Azhar over all Gilchrist type bastmans ??

 
At 2:29 PM , Blogger Stambhit said...

@ Spidey...
The match, no doubt was one of the best I have ever seen @ Wimbledon. It took me back to the Becker-Lendle match in which Becker won in 5 sets.

Rafa is probably a more complete player than Fedex becoz of his variety and perseverence. He also played some marvellous down the line as well as drop volleys at the net.

But, service at grass is an important weapon and not having it is a setback. It is more effective than a rally from baseline.

Federer needs to win 2 more times. I know its very much difficult given Rafa's improvement this year, but somehow if he could manage that..:)


@ GKA...
Agassi was a more complete player than Federar as his record would prove, but I guess Federar is better when it comes to grass and temparament.

Comparison between Gilchrist and Azahar would never happen as by all standards Azhar would fail except entertainment and probably capability.
We are perenial under achievers. Hahahah..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home