Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Best of the lot - through my eyes and hearts - Part 1

Disclaimer: This post is totally inspired by some similar posts and ideas from well known public sources. Hence, any such unmistakable similarities in terms of ideas or subjects are totally intentional. However, any such attempt to list the personal likings is always fraught with contentious or dubious selections. Hence, all comments would only be viewed through that prism only. More such lists from others are welcome. Also please note that the list is not in order of merit as I don’t think it’s good to rank the best.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not a movie buff, at least I don’t consider myself neither knowledgeable nor qualified enough to list such things, but through this I would try to give an idea to what I do like and dislike in movies, why I am such a bollywood basher in most situations, and thereby why certain movies do qualify in my book as simply irresistible. Since, by perception (and mind you, “perception is everything”) I am a left leaning hence its quite natural that I place everybody at the same pedestal (classless society, you see) and so I won’t differentiate between bollywood, Hollywood or tollywood. This is about my own all time favorite top 10.

The African Queen (1951) – This movie has one of the simplest yet unnatural stories that I have ever come across. With two powerhouse performances from Katherine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart, this seamlessly touches my heart as it explores the beauties of what I call situational love. Given that technology was minimal and story doesn’t fit in any line of division this mesmerizes with it’s portray of love, affection, love for country and cinematography. The background score is in sync with the mood while the dialogues are outstanding. Watching this, I feel that how I wish I was in place of Humphrey so that such emotions could be expressed. Alas! I can only enjoy the masterpiece and praise it through such posts.

Citizen Kane (1941) – This is another piece where you get engrossed with the flow of events, with the charming beauty of story narration. An expressionistic, fictional biography of the rise to power (and tragic fall) of a larger-than-life newspaper tycoon/publisher - Charles Foster Kane. A reporter is sent to investigate the significance of "Rosebud," the last word uttered by Kane (Welles), through interviews with various associates and his wife (Cotten, Sloane, and Comingore). With its bravura direction, broken narrative and flashbacks, and vivid performances, this is considered a modern masterpiece. Every aspect of the production marked an advance in film language: the deep-focus, deeply shadowed cinematography; the discontinuous narrative (in a screenplay co-authored by Herman Mankiewicz); the innovative use of sound and score; the low-level camera shots; the ensemble acting from Welles' Mercury Theater.

City Lights (1931) – What should I say for Chaplin! I am honored that at some point of time there was this genius in movie making, this man who never uttered a word on screen yet portrayed the most difficult expressions with utmost ease and entertained us lifelong. This film is a classic silent masterpiece (with sound effects). In the opening sequence, the urban misfit (his quintessential "Little Tramp" character) parodies 'talking' films. In the city, the tramp (Chaplin) falls in love with a blind flower-selling girl (Cherrill), and although poverty-stricken, he is mistaken for a millionaire. If love is what is depicted here, then I would die 100 times for such love. If this is not romance then what is!

The Godfather (1972) – No list of movies is ever complete without mentioning this all time classic. The drama, the dialogue, the script, the background score – you name it and godfather has it. Here is bravura, genre-defining, epic-length Mafia/gangster classic that evokes the mid and late 1940's period with powerful character development, lighting, costumes, and settings. The film follows the fortunes of the fictitious Corleones, a powerful Mafia family with its own family rituals and separate code of honor, revenge, justice, law and loyalty that transcends all other codes. If I were to ever acknowledge Al Pacino’s contribution to world cinema, I could stop only at Godfather. Even people do argue that the book is better in terms of story telling, I found enough evidence of a masterpiece in this creation.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 2:02 PM , Blogger spiderman! said...

The Godfather is a popular choice. Though I think The Departed is better than that. And African Queen again is a classic but an all time great ? Not so sure. Citizen Kane, as a creation is a landmark one but in terms of enjoyment while watching - there have been others which are better. But again, your list, your call.

 
At 1:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home